A sick child can be a scary thing – especially for new parents. Here’s a quick guide: when these 6 signs and symptoms strike, it may be time to take a trip to the emergency room.
- Fever – Rectal temp higher than 100.4° in infants under 3 months.
- Stiff Neck – With other symptoms, it could be an early sign of meningitis or Lyme disease.
- Widespread Rash – If a skin irritation won’t clear up after a few days, head to the ER if also experiencing breathing trouble, fever, headache, abnormal bleeding.
- Tummy Troubles – Make a trip to the ER if your little one is weak or faint, swollen belly, tender abdomen, unable to pass stool.
- Trouble Breathing – Seek immediate care if your child has choked on an object or is using their belly to breathe.
- Bumps, Bruises & Broken Bones – Watch for dizziness, vomiting, or drowsiness after a bump on the head. It might be a broken bone if you see loss of movement in the limb or the area around bone is cold or pale.
There are also 25 conveniently located CareNow locations across the Dallas-Fort Worth area and six Medical City Children’s Urgent Care locations in Dallas, Allen, Flower Mound, Frisco, McKinney and Plano.