Yo, summer! You think you’re pretty hot here in North Texas, don’t you? Well, okay, you are … but we’ve got tips for how to chill and enjoy all you have to offer without ending up in the ER. Here’s a roundup of our best summer safety advice.
Top 3 Summer Safety Tips from an Emergency Medicine Physician.
Manisha Gupta, MD, an emergency medicine physician at Medical City Denton, gives her 3 top tips for sailing through summer safely and injury-free:
- Apply sunscreen liberally and regularly
- Wear helmets when biking, riding ATVs and participating in other wheeled sports
- Stay well hydrated by drinking plenty of water and eating lots of high water content foods
10 More Tips for Summer Safety.
There’s nothing quite like a top 10 list. In this case, we’re actually giving you 13, but who’s counting? All that really matters is that your family stays safe so you can stay sane.
- Make sure kids learn pool and water safety at an early age and learn how to spot dry drowning and swimmer’s ear
- Know that hot car death has happened at 52 degrees and learn how to keep your family safe in the heat
- Learn to spot the 5 insects whose stings cause allergic reactions and know what to do in an emergency
- Hone your reptile radar and learn how to avoid and treat snakebites
- Avoid summer foot injuries and learn how to choose the right shoes
- Plan for the injuries and illnesses that are part of the summer camp experience
- Make lasting memories by taking your family act on the road
- Pass our Fourth of July “how hot things can get” quiz (hint: sparklers burn at 1200 degrees minimum) and learn how to celebrate without getting burned
- Make sure kids are up to date on vaccinations to avoid the current spike in mumps, measles and other contagious childhood diseases; get yours at a close CareNow urgent care and walk-in clinic
- Brush up on mosquito safety and learn how to spot and prevent Zika and other mosquito-borne viruses
Your comprehensive guide to mosquito-borne illnesses.
If your summer plans get derailed by breaks, aches, bug bites or snakes, one of our many Medical City ER locations across North Texas has you covered. With average wait times posted online, if you do have an emergency, you can spend less time waiting and more time on the moments that matter most.
Find a fast Medical City ER near you.